This recipe from Debra Flowers at Flowers Garden Center and Deer Processing. They’re what we call “comfort food.” Enjoying sorghum is one of the advantages to being a Southerner, and this recipe is another way to enjoy this uniquely southern taste.
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup butter vegetable shortening
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sorghum
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, cream margarine, shortening and sugar.
- Beat in sorghum and eggs; set mixture aside.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon.
- Blend thoroughly with wire whisk. Gradually mix flour mixture into creamed ingredients until dough is blended and smooth.
- Roll dough into 1-1/2-inch balls.
- Roll in granulated sugar; place 2-1/2-inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes.
Yields about 3 dozen cookies.
These cookies are soft and chewy. They freeze very well.
Thanks again to Debra Flowers and all our friends at
4550 Eatons Creek Rd
Nashville, TN 37208